Be warned...if you don't want to know the details of Tate's birth story....you can skip this post :)
****************************************************
After going on meds and partial bedrest at 32 weeks for preterm labor, I was beginning to think this baby was going to stay inside until his due date! By the time I was 38 weeks, I had been having contractions about five minutes apart for over six weeks and was almost 4cm dilated...but my body just wasn't going into active labor. Dr. decided to have me come in at 39 weeks to make sure I had time to get all the doses of antibiotics I needed during labor.
So Wednesday, September 23 we headed to the Pella hospital at 7:30am. The plan was to start my iv, run the antibiotics through all morning before jumpstarting anything. Five blown veins in my hands, three nurses and over an hour later my iv was finally in!
The morning was uneventful...I was contracting just like I had been for the last several weeks, so I watched tv and Chris worked on his laptop. Finally around 1:30pm Dr. Wittenberg came in to check me and break my water. My contractions had still been helping to progress me, even though I wasn't in active labor. I was 4.5-5 cm dilated on my own before he broke my water! A few minutes later and we were up walking the halls...trying to get the contractions going so I wouldn't need any pitocin.
We walked for less than an hour and I was ready to head back to my room to get checked. Contractions had changed and were beginning to stop me in my tracks finally. Dr. checked me and I was 6.5 cm....it was now or never for pain meds as quickly as things were moving. I waited just a bit but decided I wanted a little relief.
Intrathecal shot was given around 3:30pm I think....just two hours after my water was broken. Again they had a little trouble getting the shot in the right place. It was tough to sit still so long while having strong contractions. The short time of relief was worth it though. I always think it helps my body relax enough to fully dilate.
I could still feel the contractions but they were no longer painful...well not for long. By 5pm I started feeling the pain and more pressure and sure enough I was 9.5 cm dilated! The doctor and nurses were rushing around to get everything ready for delivery. I was fully dilated and started pushing at 5:20pm. This is the part of labor I dread the most....all stemming from Chase's birth. With him I pushed for over two and a half hours and still needed the vacuum suction to get him out! Max was much easier though, only pushing for 15 minutes. So I was optimistic yet still dreading it :)
Well...just a couple of contractions and six minutes later at 5:26pm...it's a boy!
We were so thankful for a healthy and speedy labor and delivery!
I got to hold him right away and then they took him to the warmer to get checked out. Clean bill of health and no rapid, grunty breathing like Max had, praise God! He latched on and nursed like a champ right away.
After we had a little time alone with Tate (well....alone along with the doctors and nursing stitching me up!), Chris started making the phone calls. Soon after, big brothers Chase and Max were the first to meet baby Tate!
Chase said he was right...he really wanted a third boy! Max was ready and excited to hold him right away. Chase gave kisses and loves but said he was "too shy" to hold baby Tate. :)
We stayed in the hospital for the required 48 hours since I was Group B strep positive and headed home! The home health nurse came out the next day and had blood drawn for his billi count for jaundice again. Unfortunately, his count jumped a lot that first day home so we were sent a billi light blanket to help keep his jaundice levels down. This usually just takes a few days, but a week and a half later and way too many heel pokes for my sweet baby and we were finally able to "unplug" him!
Big brothers are adjusting very well. They love to hold him and kiss him and keep bringing many toys for him to play with. Tate is sleeping well so far...sleeping up to five hour stretches already.
We are so in love with our third baby boy and Thank God for bringing him into our life. We are also so thankful for a wonderful doctor who has now delivered all three of our baby boys!
Life is good!
Awww...what a great story! Thanks for sharing! Tate is just as stinkin' adorable as his big brothers. Hope you guys are adjusting well and maybe we can meet him in person one of these days!
ReplyDelete